Lesson Study - 2021-22 Full School Year
August 2, 2021 - June 6, 2022
2021-2022 School Year Dates
Lesson Study Applications for the 2021-2022 school year will open on April 30th, 2021.
- August 2nd, 2021 Lesson Study Workshop (Members who have already been on teams for a year or more are only required to attend the August 4th workshop, but welcome to attend both days.)
- Fall Cycle 2021
- Spring Cycle 2022
- June 6, 2022 Reflection Seminar
Expectations of Lesson Study Teams
- All teachers will participate in the Lesson Study Orientation Meeting in the assigned location in August.
- Teachers will participate fully in researching, planning, revising, teaching and/or observing, and analyzing a research lesson during all three cycles in the school year.
- Complete a survey after each cycle of lesson study and a final reflection at the end of the year
How is Lesson Study different than other Professional Learning?
Lesson Study is a powerful model of collaboration and professional learning that is different from other professional learning in three ways:
- A Learning Stance: Lesson Study differs from mentoring or coaching in its emphasis on inquiry conducted by equals. Even experts are expected to pose genuine questions about student learning.
- Shared Ownership and Responsibility: When a Lesson Study group works together, group members come to feel that lessons are “our” lessons, not “your” or “my” lessons. Members see the contributions of all team members, and become invested in colleagues’ professional growth.
- Emphasis on Students, Not the Teacher: Lesson Study focuses on student learning and development. It provides a rare and valuable chance for teachers to be in a classroom solely to investigate student learning, unencumbered by the need to manage students or provide instruction.
Sign Up for Lesson Study for the 2021-2022 School Year is closed.
Questions? Please contact Rhonda Birnie (firstname.lastname@example.org)