MQI Coaching Cycle
July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022
The MQI coaching cycle is designed for teachers who have participated in an MQI workshop and want to apply the MQI rubric to their own classroom instruction. The 5 follow-up cycles focus on a combination of self and peer reflection of participants classroom practice. Research on the MQI coaching cycle (download PDF) indicates significant improve in classroom instruction and teacher retention.
- Instructor: Rhonda Birnie
- For teachers who would like individual coaching and want to apply the MQI rubric to their own classroom instruction
- During the 2021-22 school year with online video conferencing
What does coaching with the MQI look like?
- When the teacher and coach meet (either virtually or in person), they use the MQI framework as a guide for the teacher’s reflection. For each of the video clips (stock video or teacher’s own), the teacher and coach use the MQI to guide their discussion through several phases:
- Teacher and coach use the MQI code(s) to describe, without judgment, what happened in the clip, focusing on one or two MQI codes.
- They elevate the instruction in the video clip, describing what this moment would have looked like if it were incrementally improved on the MQI code(s) of focus.
- Teacher identifies next steps that might lead to such elevated instruction.
- At the end of the conversation, the teacher decides on an action plan, goal(s), and MQI code(s) of focus for the next coaching cycle.
*** The process begins using stock clips and most teachers do not add in their own clip until the 2nd or 3rd cycle.