Mass email is any unsolicited email sent to more than 50 students. All mass emails must be approved in advance by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.
Approval includes reviewing for consistent, accurate and coordinated communication, and can be granted to emails sent one time only OR on a specified routine basis
Mass email should be:
- Used only for significant announcements regarding registration, important deadlines, fee payment and other need-to-know information. Routine information about campus events, activities, programs, etc., may be shared through the Student Life Essentials portal and Student Events Calendar rather than in mass email.
- Brief, clear and to the point
- Related to university business
- Make every attempt to protect recipients’ privacy (i.e., blind copy recipients rather than publicly listing email addresses).
- Only use student email addresses for the purpose of their requested email. Email lists are provided with the understanding that the sender accepts responsibility for proper use and care of this information. DO NOT share this information with other university or non-university parties without the approval of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.
- Not send emails multiple times to fewer than 50 students to circumvent these guidelines.
Emails soliciting support for or against an ASBSU candidate or ballot initiative are prohibited.
Mass Email to All Currently Enrolled Students
Complete the Mass Email Request Form at least one week prior to the intended send date. You’ll get an email notification once your request is approved. The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will obtain the email list and send the email.
Mass Email to Targeted Group of Students
Complete the Mass Email Request Form and submit a Student Records Query Request to the Office of the Registrar at least 10 working days prior to the intended send date. The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will notify you and the Registrar’s Office when the request is approved.
Mass Email to Recruit Student Research Participants
If your request to email students involves asking them to complete a survey or participate in other research-based initiatives, submit an IR Data Request to the Office of Institutional Research. Additionally, if the survey/research email is part of an academic research project, you will need to contact the Office of Research Compliance for Institutional Review Board (IRB) review after IR approves your request. Once you receive IRB approval, IR will provide you with the appropriate contact list.
Mass Emails from Student Organizations
If you are a student requesting student information for your recognized student organization or on behalf of your affiliated national organization, submit your request to the Student Involvement and Leadership Center by filling out the Query Request for Student Organizations.
The Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management delegates the authority to approve and send unsolicited mass email to students under the following conditions:
- College Deans to communicate with students enrolled in their colleges.
- Department Chairs to communicate with students enrolled in their academic departments.
- Instructors and academic departments to communicate with students in their majors.
- Instructors to communicate with the students enrolled in their classes.
- Student organizations to communicate with their members or other interested individuals on their own email list.
- Emails related to student organizations or Associated Students of Boise State University (ASBSU) official business sent by Student Involvement and Leadership Center to student organization officers and advisors.
- Emails that request student participation in surveys and/or research approved by the Office of Institutional Research. Survey/research emails that are part of an academic research project also require additional approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Revised December 2018