Here’s what we’ve built:
- A one-stop-shop website that funnels students to resources based on their wants/needs.
- A student-focused event calendar for all students that only shows events catered to student interests. Events here are also automatically in the main university calendar.
- An ecosystem that feeds articles/blogs/videos into the myBoiseState website.
- A categorized, opt-in feed in the Boise State app that only shows content students care about.
Our Philosophy: Embrace what works
- Produce valuable content that students care about
- Storytelling allows for deep connection with students
- Potential deliverables: Articles, blogs, videos, explainers, 5 ½ Things, student spotlights, vlogs, podcasts, Instagram stories, Instagram takeovers
- Pushing messages or promotions to a large number of students whether or not the students are interested in the message.
- Potential deliverables: Posters, flyers, brochures, banners, digital screens.
Promoting the tools rather than programs/events/departments/colleges
- Using a mix of traditional advertising and content marketing to promote the tools for students to find the resources they need or didn’t know about.
- Using a mix of traditional advertising and content marketing to promote the student-focused event calendar.
- Embedding the tools at orientation for students and new employees.
What traditional promotions used to look like:
Poster: “Come to the Outdoor Program, we have a climbing gym and go on fun trips! Get out of your comfort zone, get involved!”
- Not effective for students not interested in the outdoors or climbing
- Relies on students being on campus
- Doesn’t harbor a connection with students as a story would
- Not memorable, just another ad
What promotions look like now:
“Climbing to a New Perspective” – A student story told in first person about how reluctantly trying out the climbing gym changed her life.
- Opt-in – you’re not forced to read it
- Reduces the signal-to-noise ratio
- Can be viewed anywhere
- Shared on main university social media channels
This all sounds great, so how do I tap in?
- Rethink how you promote your programs and departments to be more engaging
- Sign up to become a contributor on the Student Life Essentials blogs and start creating engaging content with student-centered language
- Submit your student-focused events to our calendar
- Talk about Student Life Essentials to your colleagues and students
- Send your resources and ideas to us at email@example.com
- Continue the conversation we started from Student Life Essentials on your own website