Skip to main content

Outside Scholarships

Where should my scholarship check be sent?

If you’ve received a scholarship from an outside agency, please mail the check and/or communication to the following address:

Financial Aid and Scholarships Office
Attention: Scholarship Department
Boise State University
1910 University Drive
Boise, ID 83725-1315

Be sure to include a copy of the award letter outlining the scholarship enrollment requirements and the term for which the scholarship is intended for. If the check amount is greater than $1,000.00 our office will automatically split the funds between the fall and spring semesters unless otherwise specified.

My donor requires I send an invoice of my tuition and fees. How do I get a copy?

Students can get a copy of their account invoice by following the directions listed here. 

My donor requires an enrollment verification letter. How do I get a copy?

Students can request an enrollment verification letter by following the steps listed here.

My donor requires a verification of aid or student needs analysis to be filled out. How can I get this completed?

Please email the form to or bring it to the front desk in our office located in the Administration Building Room 113. We will complete it as soon as possible and email it to your BroncoMail. Please be aware that most Student Needs Analyses require a FAFSA to be completed.

I have earned the Segal Award through AmeriCorps. How do I use this award toward tuition and fees?

First, you have to submit an Educational Expense form. Please contact the AmeriCorps National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677 or online at National Service Questions Hotline if you have questions on how to do this. We are only able to certify requests for one semester per request.

Our office will approve the request if you are eligible for the amount requested. Please be aware that the award is sent in two payments, one around the beginning of the semester and the other around the middle of the semester. Any late fees on the account are your responsibility.

I've been asked to provide a W-9. How do I go about this?

If you’ve received a scholarship from an outside entity, they may request a W-9. If one has been requested of you please download and print the form below and bring to the Financial Aid Office located in the Administration Building Room 113 to obtain a signature.

Download W-9 (pdf)

The information collected in the W-9 is used to prepare 1099-MISC forms at the end of the year. The 1099-MISC form reports the total amount of payments you receive from a single person or entity during the year. Some scholarships, fellowship grants and other grants are taxable. For more information please IRS topic on Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, and Other Grants or consult your tax advisor.