There are few in history who have been more inspiring than Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Through his speeches, lectures, and teachings the world has been graced with powerful messages which still hold relevance today. On this holiday, we’d like to take some time to remember just a few extraordinary lines directly from MLK.
1) “Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education.”
From a 1947 article, “The Purpose of Education”, for the Morehouse College student newspaper.
2) “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”
From his book, Strength to Love, published in 1968.
3) “We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right.”
From his “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” in 1963.
4) “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
From a speech given at Spelman College in 1960.
5) “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
From Strength to Love.
5 ½) Bonus Quote: “The beauty of genuine brotherhood and peace is more precious than diamonds or silver or gold.”
From his 1964 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.