Skip to main content

Post-Hospitalization Support

Mental Health Crisis – Call or Text

If you are currently experiencing thoughts of suicide or a mental health crisis, please call 988 or text TALK to 741741 to text with a trained crisis counselor for free, 24/7.


When a student is hospitalized for mental health reasons, family and friends are concerned about many things. There are often questions about the student’s well-being, options for continuing the semester, and impact to the student’s academic progress. You are not alone in navigating these processes. Our office is here to be an advocate for the student and support them through every step after their hospitalization.

Students support each other at Bronco Day
Bronco Day, Allison Corona photo.

Common Concerns After a Hospital Stay

Resources for Parents and Family

Research tells us that supporting individuals after a hospitalization is essential in preventing additional mental health crises. Supporting someone after a mental health hospitalization is an important and valuable role you can play as a loved one. You might find yourself wondering what to say or how to talk to your student after a hospitalization. Here are some resources to help you navigate those conversations.

Are you concerned about a student?

If you have immediate safety concerns call 911 or 988

If you have immediate safety concerns, please call 911 or connect with the Idaho Crisis and Suicide Hotline at 988.

Non-Imminent Safety Concerns

If you are concerned about a student displaying Distressing, Disturbing, Disruptive, or Dangerous behavior, please refer to our CARE Team webpage for information on how to notify the appropriate people on campus.

General Mental Health Concerns

Are you worried about a student but don’t have any current safety concerns? Is their academic or personal well-being impacted by mental health concerns? Our Student Outreach and Assistance team is available to support students and help them problem solve barriers to their success. Refer a student for outreach here. 

Counseling Services

Is the student interested in counseling on campus? Walk them over to the 2nd Floor of the Norco Building or call Counseling Services with them at (208) 426-1459 to schedule an appointment.

Back To Top