Skip to main content

1098-T FAQs

Special note about CARES Act funds

You may have received funds from the federal CARES Act during the 2020 calendar year. These payments are not reflected on your 2020 1098-T. Please work with a tax preparer if you need assistance with whether to report these payments on your taxes and how to do so. Boise State University staff are unable to provide tax advice.

Colleges and universities are required by U.S. law each year to provide each student who is a “US person” for tax purposes with Form 1098-T, to assist the students and their families in computing any tax credit or deduction they may be able to claim, based on amounts they have spent for education.

Students from outside the United States should review the Foreign Students section of this page for important information. Most foreign students do not need Form 1098-T for any purpose.

Frequently Asked Questions


Will I receive Form 1098-T?

Every Boise State student whose student account had payments made toward qualified tuition and related expenses during the calendar year will have online access to their Form 1098-T or receive it in a paper form in January. You may receive Form 1098-T even if you did not attend class during the calendar year. Receiving Form 1098-T does not necessarily indicate that you are entitled to claim any of the education-related tax credits or deductions.

What should I do with my Form 1098-T?

You should immediately give it to whoever is responsible for preparing your tax returns. If you prepare your own tax returns, you should keep your Form 1098-T in a file with your other tax documents. Form 1098-T should remain in your files; you do not need to attach Form 1098-T to your tax returns.

How can I get a copy of my Form 1098-T for a prior year?

Prior years’ forms beginning in 2005 are available online through my.BoiseState. Click on Student View, then Student Center.  From the Student Center, click the Student Homepage tile then Student Financials. Select View 1098-T from the menu on the left side of the page.

Where can I go for help in understanding my Form 1098-T?

First, please review the FAQs on this page, because they will answer many typical questions. For general information on Form 1098-T and the related tax credits and deductions, you may also want to review the information available from IRS in Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) or elsewhere on the IRS web site. Boise State staff are unable to provide any individual tax advice.

If you have questions about the specific transactions reported for your own student account at Boise State, please contact us by email at or by phone at 426-1212.

Will my parents receive a copy of Form 1098-T?

No. We make form 1098-T available only to the student. The student is responsible for making his or her own form 1098-T available to parents, tax preparers or other persons.

Will Boise State send a copy of my Form 1098-T to the federal government or the State of Idaho?

Like all colleges and universities, Boise State is required to submit the data from your Form 1098-T to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by March 31. The State of Idaho does not require us to report Form 1098-T data to them. If we are required to correct a 1098-T after March 31 it will be sent to the IRS as soon as it is corrected.

I took a professional development or continuing education course from Boise State this year. Why didn’t I get a 1098T?

Boise State does not issue Form 1098T for continuing education (non-credit) courses. If you need documentation of continuing education course fees, please contact the Division of Extended Studies at (208) 426-1709.

Why is box 2 blank?

Box 2 is blank for all Boise State University students. The IRS requires universities to report amounts paid toward qualified tuition and related expenses, rather than amounts billed. This does not mean your “amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses” are zero. To help you review all transactions on your account during the year, please refer to your Term Summary Report on the Student Center. For instructions on accessing your Term Summary Report, please refer to our Help Document.

Why does Boise State report on a calendar year instead of a school year?

We are required by the IRS to report on a calendar year basis which is January 1 to December 31. We can only report amounts to the IRS that posted to your student account between those dates.

I am attending Boise State University Spring 2020, but some of the payments for that term are showing on my 2019 form. Why?

Form 1098-T reports only those transactions that posted to your student account during the calendar year. Spring semester begins in January, but if you paid for those classes on or before December 31, 2019, those amounts will be reported on your 2019 Form 1098-T, which will be available in January 2020.

How do I get details on what is included in each Box on my 1098-T form?

This is available through online access. Log in through my.BoiseState and select the Box Amount link on the 1098T pages. View our 1098-T Help Document for more information.

Does my Form 1098-T tell me everything I need to know for tax purposes?

Probably not. Your Form 1098-T reports all transactions that flowed through your student account during the calendar year. However, students typically incur other expenses that may also qualify for tax credits or deductions. The most common example is textbooks. For further information on “qualified” education expenses, please review IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. You may wish to consult with a tax professional.

Are Parent PLUS loans or other loans reported on my Form 1098-T?

Yes. Loans that paid qualified tuition and related expenses are reported on Form 1098-T under box 1.  Loan amounts sent to you as a refund are not reflected on the form.

Online 1098-T Access

How do I get Online 1098-T Access?

It’s easy. Log in through our my.BoiseState, it’s just a few mouse clicks! View our 1098-T Help Document for more information. You will now have access to your 1098-T documents 24/7!

If I signed up last year for Online 1098-T Access, will I need to do so again this year?

No. Once you have signed up, your election stays in effect for the remainder of your time at Boise State. You will be notified by email when the form is available online.

When will my Form 1098-T be available?

Forms 1098-T are available in late January for the prior calendar year.

Do I need any additional software to view my Form 1098-T?

You will only need the free Adobe Reader or another PDF file reader.

Will I still get a paper Form 1098-T?

With Online 1098-T access, you can print your own tax form whenever you need. Students who have not signed up for online access by mid-January will receive a paper copy of their form in the mail. That form will be mailed to the student’s mailing address on record around the last week in January. Boise State will not supply any additional paper copies of Form 1098-T. To obtain a duplicate, you must download it through my.BoiseState and click into your Student Center.

If I lose my paper Form 1098-T, how can I get a duplicate copy?

Duplicate copies of your Form 1098-T are only available through my.BoiseState

Foreign Students 1098-T

Do I need a Form 1098-T?

Probably not. However, that depends on whether you are a “US person” or a nonresident alien for US tax purposes. We make the form available to all US persons as required by law. Nonresident aliens, however, are generally not eligible to claim any of the education-related tax credits or deductions for which Form 1098-T is intended to serve as documentation. If you file your tax return on Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, you are not eligible to claim those tax benefits.

How do I know whether I am a US person or a nonresident alien for tax purposes?

You are a “US person” if you are: a US citizen, or a Lawful Permanent Resident (“green card” holder), or a resident alien for tax purposes, by virtue of passing the Substantial Presence Test for the year. Otherwise, you are a nonresident alien (also known as a “foreign person”) for tax purposes. For further information, please review IRS Publication 519 (US Tax Guide for Aliens).

For most F-1 and J-1 students, this means if you arrived in the US during or after the year 2006, you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes and you will not need a Form 1098-T.

For most J-1 researchers, this means if you arrived in the US during or after the year 2009, you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes and you will not need a Form 1098-T.

I am a nonresident alien for tax purposes. Is there a different tax form I should receive?

Maybe. Some, but not all, foreign students will receive Form 1042-S (Foreign Person’s US Source Income Subject to Withholding). The two largest groups of foreign visitors who receive Form 1042-S include [1] students who received scholarships or fellowships in excess of their qualified tuition for at least one academic term, and [2] Boise State employees who received tax treaty benefits in their paychecks during the year. All Boise State employees will also receive Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, mailed to their home address in January.

Can I still receive Form 1098-T even if I am a nonresident alien?

Yes, you may. To request it, you must email us at each year; your form will then be available on my.BoiseState within 24-48 hours. Please be advised that your receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate that you are a US person for tax purposes, or that you are entitled to any education-related tax benefits.

Is there a deadline to request a Form 1098-T if I need one?

We ask that you request the form by March 25. Boise State is required to transmit all 1098-T forms to the IRS by March 31, after which the year’s file is closed. If you need documentation of tuition and fees after this date, you may use a Term Summary Report, available on my.BoiseState. For instructions on accessing your Term Summary Report, please see our Term Summary Report Help Document.

Back To Top