The Graduate Certificate in Mathematical Thinking for Instruction (GC-MTI) is focused on preparing and building the skills of individuals who are interested in improving their mathematical skills and understanding related to K-8 classroom instruction, coaching other teachers, or becoming mathematics teacher leaders.
The program aim is to develop participants’ expertise in the following areas:
- Knowledge and use of current and seminal research literature related to learning theories and progressions to improve instructional practice and student achievement for under-resourced populations
- Facilitate continuous improvements in student learning through examination of classroom instructional practices with a focus on meaningfully building all students’ learning and application of the content and mathematical practice standards
- Facilitate evaluation of student work, discourse, and assessment data and determine appropriate instructional response(s) utilizing that information
- Demonstrate ability to facilitate mathematics professional development and collaboration among teachers, including support through professional learning communities
- Facilitate evaluation of student work, discourse, and assessment data and determine appropriate instructional response(s) utilizing that information.
- Knowledge of learning theories and their meaningful application in multiple educational environments through the use of varied instructional resources
The GC-MTI program includes a variety of course options along with the required courses. The courses in the GC-MTI program are all taken for graduate credit and may be applied to other master’s or doctoral level programs.
In addition to the graduate certificate, program participants who successfully complete the required courses for the Mathematics Consulting Teacher Endorsement option will have demonstrated the necessary competencies to receive an institutional recommendation may be eligible for the Mathematics Consulting Teacher Endorsement through the Idaho State Department of Education.
Apply Now Request More Information