A prospective student may apply at any time and should follow the general graduate application procedure for degree-seeking students (see Graduate Admissions Policies). Admission to the program is based on:
- Apply to the Graduate College and satisfy the minimum admission requirements of the Graduate College. International applicants must satisfy the international admissions requirements.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning or a degree from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree by the International Admissions office.
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (based on a 4-point scale) computed for all undergraduate credits from the applicant’s most recent baccalaureate degree.
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score of 500 or better. We also accept Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores with minimum target scores of 152 in both the verbal and math categories. A higher GPA may offset a slightly lower GMAT or GRE score and vice versa.
- Fast Track admission waives the GMAT or GRE test requirement and the essay requirement for applicants who meet at least one of the following criteria: 1) Completed at least 18 semester credits in upper-division (300, 400 or 500 level) accounting courses taken for undergraduate credit and have graduated from a regionally accredited institution and achieved a 3.30/4.00 or better GPA in all their upper-division accounting courses and a 3.30/4.00 or better cumulative GPA, 2) Current CPAs, Certified Management Accountants (CMA), or Certified Internal Auditors (CIA). Applicants should request a letter be sent directly to the Graduate College from the appropriate state board or national organization verifying their certification status, or 3) Earned an advanced degree (masters, doctorate, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution in any discipline.
- English proficiency is required. International students must score at least 587/240/95 on the TOEFL exam or 6.5 on the IELTS exam.
- A solid foundation in accounting is required to succeed in the MSA program. Successful completion of all undergraduate accounting courses and the business core required for Boise State University’s BBA in Accountancy degree demonstrates that foundation. Equivalent courses from another accredited university can be considered to meet this requirement.
- MSAT applicants should also bring a strong background in accounting, but the MSAT program specifically requires only ACCT 302 Survey of Federal Income Taxation (or its equivalent) prior to enrolling in MSAT courses. Applicants are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and individuals may be required to prepare for MSAT courses by completing specific undergraduate accounting courses.
- In addition, applicants without a degree in accountancy seeking professional certification are advised to consult with the appropriate State Board of Accountancy regarding additional coursework required for certification.
- Applicants to either program are evaluated based on motivation level, prior academic performance, GMAT or GRE scores, managerial potential, and essays. Details can be found on the COBE graduate programs website: https://cobe.boisestate.edu/graduate-programs-overview/.