Idaho Governor Brad Little has approved a temporary benefit for eligible state employees to receive paid time off to be a substitute teacher in Idaho public school districts. This is a temporary benefit to support in-person learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Regular, benefit-eligible employees of the university are eligible for paid time off to substitute in Idaho’s public schools when they meet the following criteria:
- An eligible employee must receive paid leave, wages or salary for the pay period in which they request substitute leave.
- Individuals must be a regular benefit-eligible employee as of Sept. 20, 2021.
- Employees must meet all school district requirements to be hired as a substitute, and pass all screening processes before being approved to utilize substitute leave.
- Employees must provide in-person substitution to an Idaho public school.
- Boise State University has the discretion to approve or deny an employee’s request to take substitute teacher leave in accordance with workload demands, performance expectations and other legitimate business reasons.
- Employees can only use this leave when providing in-person substitute support that is authorized for payment by an Idaho public school district (K-12). For example, volunteer work for the school district or an individual school would not not qualify.