Boise State’s University Art Curator, Veterans Services Center, and U.S. Army veteran and guest curator Mandee Snowden-Edmonds seek to exhibit creators, makers and artists who have served in the United States armed forces for the “Breaking the Mold” exhibition.
The exhibition will feature works created by service members past and present. Subjects are not required to pertain to the military; works of all subjects will be accepted. No previous background in making or art education is required to enter this exhibition. All works demonstrating mastery of technique, with a clear aesthetic and vision will be accepted. This call is open to all students, faculty and Treasure Valley community members who have served in the United States armed forces.
Works can include, but are not limited to:
- Two dimensional and three dimensional Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing, Photography and Sculpture)
- Functional art (such as ceramics, furniture, textiles and/or clothing design)
- Video Performance/Installation
- Digital Art
- Book/Paper/Collage Art
All genres, styles, and media will be considered. All work must be presentation ready and displayed as proposed. Submitted entries may be previously-created works, but must be the original work of the individual/group applying. Submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please write Breaking the Mold in the subject line.
- Please submit a hi-res image of your piece(s) with a description of your piece in terms of size, media, display method and insurance value.
- Please submit a brief bio, including your branch and rank, with an image of yourself to be presented at the gallery.
The deadline to enter is Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 (midnight MST). Participants must be able to deliver and pick up works at Boise State University Student Union Building Fine Arts Gallery. Delivery of artwork must take place by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023. Artwork will be installed in the gallery beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023 and will be on display through April 10, 2023. Exhibition in the gallery requires that the work be on loan for the entire duration of the exhibition.
Notifications of accepted works will be extended upon submission. Exhibition participants will be selected by a panel made up of the Student Union Building Fine Arts Program and Veterans Services Center employees. Contact Fonda Portales at email@example.com with questions.