From Deployment to Degree: Why Leonard Rogers Chose the Online Bachelor of Business Administration Program

Twin Falls, Idaho native and outdoor enthusiast, Leonard Rogers, never thought graduating from college would be possible. No one in his family had ever attended college and the financial cost seemed too great. Fatherhood led him to reconsider. Rogers discovered that a bachelor of business administration degree could open many doors for himself and his young family.

“This opportunity has meant so much to my family and me,” Rogers explained. “My wife and I often talk about the legacy we want to leave for our kids and one of the first steps was to complete my college degree.”

Leonard Rogers and family pictured at navy ship dock.
Leonard Rogers with his wife and children. Photo provided by Leonard Rogers.

Rogers started his academic journey at the College of Western Idaho in 2014. He quickly realized he needed a better way to pay for school and more career opportunities, and the Navy felt like a great option. Rogers soon enlisted and completed a few courses in between deployments to the Middle East, Mediterranean and the Asia Pacific.

Meeting a Success Coach

Following deployment, Rogers prepared to return to school. He researched different universities that would best fit his needs and decided on Boise State Online’s Bachelor of Business Administration program after talking to Scott Erickson, a Boise State student success coach.

Boise State Online Success Coaches help degree seekers find which program is best for them and their academic goals. After talking through his priorities and options, Rogers felt that the online business management program would fit him best and prepare him to take his next steps with confidence.

“When I spoke with Scott, I explained my situation with the Navy and being gone for weeks out to sea. He assured me that Boise State and its professors were understanding of military personnel. He was right about it all.”

“When I spoke with Scott, I explained my situation with the Navy and being gone for weeks out to sea,” said Rogers. “He assured me that Boise State and its professors were understanding of military personnel. He was right about it all.”

Choosing an Online Degree

Rogers learned how the online bachelor of business administration program at Boise State is designed for working adults and all students who want to advance and build on prior college and professional experience. Throughout the program, students will learn and build various skills such as managerial problem solving, interpersonal competence, leadership in team environments and much more.

“I can say that I found my place in the business administration program,” Rogers said. “I’ve been very thankful for the freedom and flexibility that Boise State Online has given me.”

Personal Academic Support

All Boise State Online students are assigned to their own personal Student Success Advisor upon admission to an online program. Advisors work with students to navigate registering for classes each semester and assist them with accessing resources to successfully pursue their educational goals.

“I can say that I found my place in the business administration program. I’ve been very thankful for the freedom and flexibility that Boise State Online has given me.”

Rogers worked with Sage Rust, his academic advisor throughout his Boise State academic career. Rust and Rogers first met to discuss his transfer credit, his goals and to establish a degree plan from start to finish in the online management program. Leonard chose a full-time schedule, but degree plans are flexible with full-time and part-time options.

They met every semester to make sure he was on track and to make changes to his schedule as he needed them. Rogers reached out to Rust when he notified of deployment. Together, they created a specialized plan that would allow him to graduate in the semester he needed. Rust checked in with Rogers via email multiple times throughout the semester to make sure he was progressing with his courses and connect him with resources at Boise State.

Leonard Rogers headshot
Leonard Rogers, graduate of the online bachelor of business administration program at Boise State. Photo provided by Leonard Rogers.

“It was great being able to work with Leonard throughout his time in the bachelor of business administration program,” Rust said. “I enjoy creating plans which suit students’ needs and connecting them with resources. Leonard and I worked together to develop a degree plan that fit his needs after he learned of his deployment. I am so happy for Leonard and his success in the program!

Leaving a Positive Legacy

Leonard Rogers completed his degree program and graduated from Boise State in May 2020. “I’m the first person in my family to complete any level of higher education,” Rogers said. “Completing my degree has given me a tremendous amount of confidence in myself and in my family’s future.”

“I’m the first person in my family to complete any level of higher education. Completing my degree has given me a tremendous amount of confidence in myself and in my family’s future.”

Boise State Online offers a variety of flexible and student-focused online programs, perfect for anyone looking to get a degree. Contact a student success coach to start your journey today!

Contact Us

Story by Alexis Ross and Pamela Craig for Boise State Extended Studies