Skip to main content

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

Read more about the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).

Basic eligibility

  • Must have served in the armed forces after September 11, 2001 with at least 90 days of aggregate service, or a service-connected disability after 30 days.
  • Received an honorable discharge.
  • Benefits have been transferred from an Active Duty service member to dependent.

You need to be a full-time student for that session (see academic calendar) to receive the full amount of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). See the semester equivalency table. Your rate of pursuit must be at least 51% (7 credits for undergraduate regular semester) to receive 1/2 of the normal  BAH rate.

How your benefits work

  • Every semester, once you are fully enrolled in classes, submit a declaration with a current COE (Certificate of Eligibility).
  • You will receive a letter in the mail from the VA indicating your enrollment has been processed. The VA will send book money ($41.67 per credit), not to exceed $1000 a year. The book money allowance starts over every fall.
  • On the first of the month, you can expect a direct deposit of BAH for the previous month, if applicable. You are paid for days you are enrolled; short months are pro-rated. If you live on campus, BAH funds must be applied to your housing bill. Go to your myBoiseState student center to make payments.
  • Once the VA processes your enrollment, they send their portion of your tuition directly to Boise State Student Financials/Account Maintenance. If your eligibility is not 100%, the remainder of the tuition needs to be paid prior to the end of the term.
  • If your financial aid paid any portion of your tuition, any overpayment will be deposited directly to your student center account. Be sure that your direct deposit information is current.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA’s trademark rights in that phrase. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at