How to Apply
Requirements and Application Process
An applicant must satisfy the minimum admission requirements of the Graduate College (see Graduate Admission Regulations in the Boise State University Graduate Catalog). Admission is competitive and the achievement of minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program. Applicants must:
- Hold a B.A., B.F.A., or M.A. degree in visual art from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Have and maintain at least a 3.00 grade point average on a 4.00 scale.
- Have completed twelve credits of undergraduate art history prior to taking courses for graduate credit. Undergraduate coursework in modern and/or contemporary art history is highly desirable.
- Be accepted to the Boise State University Graduate College
Application to the MFA, Visual Arts degree program is a two-part process:
I. Admission to the Graduate College
Applicants are required to submit the following through the Graduate College on-line system prior to applying to the MFA, Visual Arts degree program:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field
- Official transcripts
- Application Letter: A statement of purpose that addresses why you want to pursue an MFA in Visual Arts at Boise State University.
- A resume or CV that lists educational background, exhibition record, awards, grants, reviews, publications, and any other pertinent information.
II. Admission to the MFA, Visual Art degree program
A portfolio and the following documents must be submitted at: https://artboisestate.submittable.com/submit
The following items are required:
- A portfolio of Twenty (20) digital images of a recent body of work
- An artist statement that directly addresses the portfolio submitted
- Supporting statement if applying for a Graduate Assistantship that outlines your interest in and qualifications for the position.
- Graduate Assistant Application https://www.boisestate.edu/graduatecollege/forms/
Create a Submittable.com account to complete the application. The Submittable.com portal offers additional instructions for submitting
work. Please review it before organizing your application materials.
The Submittable.com portal will be available October 15 through January 31 of each year for application submission. Applications are for fall semester admission only.
The Graduate College application fee is $65 for residents or $95 (USD) for international students. When submitting an application, you must pay the fee as a credit card payment at the same time, or the application will not be processed.
MFA Application Deadline:
Graduate Assistantship Application Deadline: