The Office of the General Counsel provides a full range of legal services to the University, from compliance with applicable policies, trademark and licensing, employment law, student matters, legislation, laws and regulations to litigation management and risk mitigation, to business transaction counsel.
- Contracts: The Office of the General Counsel provides the campus community with guidance for development and negotiations of contracts. Contracts include procurement of goods and services, real estate, service contracts, affiliation agreements, cooperative agreements, construction contracts, software licenses, hardware and software purchases, click agreements, intellectual property contracts, international agreements, performance agreements, memorandums of understanding (MOU), contract templates, contract disputes, and other contractual matters.
- Copyright: Complying with copyright law is more challenging to academic institutions than ever before. The traditional focus on photocopied classroom handouts and paper-based interlibrary loan has evolved into a more complex set of content uses such as the internet, course management systems, customized course packs, and e-reserves.
- Employment Law: We advise on the development and implementation of University employment policies; advise in the administrative process for discipline or termination of University employees; advise in the employee grievance process, faculty retention, promotion and tenure decisions and discrimination claims; and advise the University in complying with state and federal employment laws.
- Intellectual Property: We advise on the development of policies regarding licensing of technology; review sponsored research agreements and licensing agreements; and provide advice to the University community on copyright and trademark matters.
- Legislation: We provide legal analysis and recommendations to the administration on proposed legislation.
- Litigation Management: We supervise litigation handled by outside counsel, including attorneys from the Idaho Attorney General’s Office.
- Real Estate: We provide advice and assistance regarding legal issues involving real estate owned by Boise State University, as well as leases of real property by and to the University.
- Record Requests: We review subpoenas and other requests for records submitted to the University and assist with responses to such requests.
- Student Matters: Attorneys provide counsel to university officials with regard to the development of policies impacting and governing students; participate in the administrative process for disciplining or dismissing students; and advise university officials regarding the activities of student organizations.
- Trademarks and Licensing: We ensure proper control and use of trademarks associated with Boise State University by establishing processes of granting authorization for legitimate internal and third-party use of University trademarks.
- This list is meant as an overview and is not all-inclusive
Materials presented are for general informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice from the Office of General Counsel. An attorney should be consulted regarding the specific facts and circumstances associated with any legal matter. No warranties or representations are made as to the accuracy of any information presented here or at any of the web sites to which a link is provided, and the inclusion of a link or reference is not intended to be or imply an endorsement. Any discrepancy between the information presented here and the official rules and policies of Boise State University is not intended to and does not alter or amend the official rules and policies.