Bench Animal Hospital is looking for a part-time Veterinary Technician/Assistant
An assistant helps the technicians, doctors, and receptionists in all duties of the hospital. The responsibilities vary with the current needs of the hospital staff, the season of the year and the individual abilities demonstrated by the employee. The assistant is responsible for beginning the procedures for examination. The animal’s weight, temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, and mucous membrane color are recorded on the patient records. A brief medical history for examination is recorded. It will be necessary to restrain the pet during the examination and treatment done by the attending doctor.
Duties would also include:
- Care of boarding and hospitalized animals including cage cleaning, feeding and watering, exercising, laundry and keeping animals clean
- General cleaning of hospital building and yard to maintain clean, odor-free environment
- Housekeeping and laundry duties for all areas
- Ability to restrain for procedures performed by other technicians or doctors, administration of medications and assessment of change in animal status
- Performance of in-house laboratory tests as needed
- Animal restraint, nail trimming, ear cleaning, prescription filling, and computer transaction entry
- Dispensing medication which the doctor has prescribed
- Preparing patients, assisting in surgery, and closely monitoring patients while under anesthesia and during recovery
- Cleaning and preparing surgical supplies after surgeries have been performed
- Assisting with x-rays
- Would be responsible for the cleanliness of the hospital including runs and kennels kept clean and disinfected, walking dogs, cage cleaning and general hospital cleaning
- Evening closing of the hospital including sweeping all floors, mopping, empty all garbage cans. Make sure all patients are medicated, fed and watered (if not restricted), litter boxes cleaned, dogs walked, pet dishes and litter boxes washed, yard waste disposed of, laundry done as time allows, rooms cleaned and ready for the next day.
This is an outline of the job, but the job may require other responsibilities according to individual situations that may arise.
Hours would include weekends and holidays. Some weekdays between 9 AM and 6:30 PM, but maybe later in the evening, depending on doctor treatments. Weekends would be Sat. 8:30 AM to 2 PM and 6 PM to 7 PM (or as time requires) and Sun 9 am to 10 am and back at 6 pm to 7 pm (or as time requires). Holidays or days hospital is closed would be the same as Sunday hours if worked. Total hours would be about 20+ per week/depending on availability and scheduling and most likely would be 2 pm to close (6:30ish) plus weekends.
Pay rate would be $ 8.00/per hour to start
Please contact Bench Animal Hospital – 5402 W. Franklin Rd., Boise, Idaho 83705 email@example.com
This is a great veterinary hospital close to the campus. Erin Colburn’s Bassett Hounds, Buddy and Scarlette love it there!