Shantell Beasley – Title IV-E Scholars Program Student

Shantell Beasley

Shantell Beasley, who lives in Kuna, studied psychology at the University of Idaho as an undergraduate and is working toward her master’s in social work with Boise State online. She expects to graduate in the spring of 2023. Her placement is with the Department of Health and Welfare in Caldwell as a case manager and licensed social worker.

As she weighed her options, she considered several online master’s programs; Boise State’s won the day for quality and convenience.

“This one just made it really flexible for me,” she said.

Co-workers told her about the Title IV-E program; she wasn’t convinced she could work in child welfare long-term, but her outlook has shifted.

“Being able to see the difference that you can make, knowing you are getting these children into safe places, really got to me,” she said. “It absolutely melts my heart.”

Prospects for a varied career with the state are very promising, she said, noting that her family is settled — and her own child is excited about the work she is engaged in.

“I do want to make a life with the state,” Beasley said. “My family’s here … I’m pretty established where I am with my life.”

Reynolds and others have been there when she’s needed them, she said.

“What I really like is the support that’s there,” she said. “You have multiple people you can bounce ideas off of, multiple people right there in your corner, helping you to succeed in the program.

“They’re more connected than you would have thought … They reach out to you to help with your success, and I just think that that’s amazing.”