Job Standard for Development Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Development Specialist Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75435
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: External Affairs
- Function: Development
This position implements and coordinates donor relations and stewardship strategy for the donor database including annual, major, and leadership donors. They focus on appropriate donor acknowledgement, donor recognition, timely reporting to donors on the use and impact of their gifts, and helping to move donors to their next gift by educating them about funding opportunities at the university.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years’ experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to manage prospects from identification through the entire cultivation process.
- This position must have donor experience in the areas of identification, cultivation and solicitation. Must be able to develop lasting relationships with prospective/current donors
- Experience and ability to use and develop electronic communication with donors
- Ability to think through complicated processes and have exceptional problem-solving skills.
- This position is expected to have a high level of communication skills and ability to work effectively with donors, both oral and written communication.
60% of Time the Development Specialist
- Develop an annual plan as part of operational planning and budgeting.
- Implement, coordinate, and execute an effective and efficient donor relations event and activities strategy
- Administration of member benefits and fulfillment, includes maintaining communication with groups.
- Increase fund giving through review of benefits and improved donor correspondence.
- Relations to develop, implement and execute a donor relations stewardship and recognition plan for our corporate and foundation donors.
- Responsible for coordination of gifts and recognition items for all members, including selection, ordering and appropriate approvals
- Athletics – This position will communicate and educate with athletic donors in regard to the priority point system benefits chart, annual renewal for memberships and parking requests
- This position may supervise other positions and oversee graduate assistants/interns.
- This position will have a portfolio of donors to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward for additional gifts to athletics with focus on philanthropic giving.
35% of Time the Development Specialist
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Development Specialist
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
May travel locally to event locations or overnight
Development Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.