Job Standard for Academic Advisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Academic Advisor Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75060
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/Student Support
Provide in-depth, specialized, and/or comprehensive advising to faculty and students regarding class choices, curriculum options, majors, departmental and University policies and procedures, and other academic needs.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The ability to effectively communicate information and ideas
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the tasks at hand
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
- Good knowledge of: discussing career and educational goals with students; identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
- Experience: in student counseling, development, education or related field.
60 % of Time Academic Advisor will:
- Maintain positive connections with faculty and staff in focus area to facilitate student connections.
- Coordinate communication of information related to important dates, deadlines and procedures to advisees.
- Monitors student progress and suggests and implements corrective actions with students encounter academic difficulties. Meets with students with academic probation suspension or academic misconduct issues.
- Keeps current on university and college policies and procedures, and rules and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements.
- Acts as a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various university and college sponsored orientations and events.
35% of Time Academic Advisor:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Academic Advisor:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Academic Advisor
Academic Advisor, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.