Job Standard for Academic Advisor, Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Academic Advisor, Associate Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75061
- Pay Grade: P3
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/Student Support
To prepare students for completion of a baccalaureate degree by providing a wide range of services done in one-to-one and group settings. Position can include advising, tutoring, mentoring, providing workshops and any other means of academic assistance appropriate to the university setting.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training.
Bachelor’s Degree or relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills, as demonstrated by the delivery of professional presentations and the preparation of professional correspondence.
- Proficient in computerized office applications, with excellent database and spreadsheet skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to embrace change and ambiguity
- Ability to work with individuals of varying educational, financial, and cultural backgrounds
- Good knowledge of: university processes to effectively navigate enrollment, financial aid and other pertinent processes.
- Experience: working with a diverse student population; strong writing skills; interpersonal skills; ability to multitask.
60 % of Time Academic Advisor Associate will:
- Coordinates with other university departments regarding undergraduate academic courses that support degree programs
- Work with the student information system and various data files and sources, and prepares a wide variety of reports using multiple databases and spreadsheets.
- Monitor progress of designated students, enforcing university and college academic standards and suggesting corrective action when necessary.
- Assist students with academic program planning, course selection and registration
- Maintain thorough records regarding student contacts for effective follow up.
35% of Time Academic Advisor Associate:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Academic Advisor Associate:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Academic Advisor, Associate
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.