Job Standard for Academic Advisor, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Academic Advisor Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75835
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/Student Support
Oversee the university’s fellowship initiatives, including recruitment, advising and nomination of students and recent graduates for prestigious (inter)national awards. This position plays a key role in supporting students as they articulate their interests and ambitions and apply for fellowship opportunities to further their academic, personal and professional goals.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, administrators as well as external agencies/groups and the public
- Demonstrated experience with outreach, promotion, and/or public relations activities
- Experience multitasking, balancing and prioritizing the competing demands of overlapping application timelines
- Good knowledge of: written, verbal, and presentation skills; university policies.
- Experience: advising and mentoring university students for high impact educational experiences; awareness of the unique challenges facing high achieving students
60 % of Time Academic Advisor Senior will:
- Develop and facilitate initiatives and programs that encourage, guide and assist high achieving students and their faculty mentors in applying for competitive (inter)national awards
- Supervise the academic and fellowship advisors
- Build and maintain excellent cross-campus relationships with faculty and staff to coordinate a program broadly accessible to the entire student population
- Assumes leadership roles that support academic programs and special projects
- Cultivate partnerships with faculty, staff, and administrators university-wide and develop and facilitate initiatives regarding fellowship advising and Honors College programs
35% of Time Academic Advisor Senior:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Academic Advisor Senior:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Academic Advisor, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.