Job Standard for Academic Program, Associate Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Academic Program, Associate Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75632
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Academic Support
Provide leadership, management and guidance to the specified department. Includes strategic planning, development of resources, management of personnel, budgets, evaluation and feedback of program outputs.
Manages a program and/or team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years professional experience including 3 years of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in successfully developing and evaluating a multi-layered endeavor, business or department with many constituents and competing priorities, with limited resources.
- Strong analysis, problem-solving, decision-making and organizational skills
- Exceptional relational skills as well as the ability to partner effectively both internally and externally
- Understanding of industry best practices and standards
- Knowledge of academic environment and structure would be beneficial and desirable.
60% of Time the Academic Program, Associate Director must:
- Program development leadership.
- Track performance measures to assess program success.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other units on campus
- Support relationships and partnerships in the community
- Oversees planning and execution of special projects, meetings, and events.
- Assure a well-coordinated and fully integrated communication program including email, social media, web site, newsletter, and other methods as necessary.
- Develops and implements successful operational policies and practices to assure a fun, inviting, encouraging, respectful, safe and effective work environment for all students, residents, volunteers, advisors and staff.
35% of Time the Academic Program, Associate Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Academic Program, Associate Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Academic Program, Associate Director
Sample Text: Marketing/Promotions Coordinator, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.