Job Standard for Accountant Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and cannot be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Accountant Associate Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75199
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
Develop and maintain records, documents, and financial data that encompasses a variety of financial activities typically including: budget, payroll and benefits, accounts payable/receivable, accounts reconciliation, travel, purchasing and similar supporting functions. Perform professional accounting work and other duties as assigned.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self-development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of customer service principles
- Attention to detail
- Ability to dependably meet goals in a timely and accurate fashion and work well under periods of pressure
- Demonstrated skill in multi-level spreadsheet development and manipulation
- Maintain a professional attitude amidst difficult and stressful times and demonstrate a sense of ethics while performing daily tasks
60% of Time the Accountant Associate must:
- Research and analyze data for accuracy and to ensure appropriate accounting procedures have been followed for compliance with Federal and State laws and university policy. Prepare and process journal entries as assigned.
- Audit, analyze, and verify fiscal records and reports. Prepare financial and statistical reports, reconcile general ledger accounts and assist in preparing annual budgets. Maintains complex spreadsheets.
- Responsible for items such as, developing and monitoring annual budgets, supporting the management and implementation of financial systems, generating and analyzing financial reports and developing processes and procedures to comply with State and Federal laws.
35% of Time the Accountant Associate
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Accountant Associate
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Accountant Associate
* Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.