Job Standard for Accountant, Grants, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Accountant, Grants Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75457
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
This position is responsible to provide oversight of both the day-to-day activities in post award fiscal administration and significant financial data collection and reporting tasks. The position supports the coordination of OSP involvement in year-end financial reporting as well as OSP involvement in internal and external audits; conducts analysis of financial data; provides input on policies and procedures.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years’ experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience preparing financial and/or auditor statements, schedules and reports.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to make sound decisions by applying policies & procedures and using available resources,
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and customers;
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- Knowledge and experience in analyzing information and research a variety of sources to identify and resolve problems or issues
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, multitask and complete tasks with multiple interruptions and distractions;
- Experience in utilizing financial systems to extract and input data
- Knowledge of accounting theory, principles, and practices
- Knowledge of ethics and confidentiality principles and practices
- Ability to effectively plan and organize day to day operations
60% of Time the Accountant, Grants, Senior must:
- Point of contact for major fiscal projects
- Provide oversight and administration of OP accounting functions
- Advise OSP post award staff
- Handle various situations for financial statements; approving exceptions to cost transfer policies; solutions to unique sponsored project spending situations.
- Prepare, analyze, and/or audit financial records and documents
- Assists the Operations Manager with the supervision and training of financial techs and SPAs; assists with the preparation of reports for external parties.
35% of Time the Accountant, Grants, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Accountant, Grants, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Accountant, Grants, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.