Job Standard for Accountant, Grants
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Accountant, Grants Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75458
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
Perform professional accounting work for University operations, including auditing, analyzing, and verifying fiscal records and reports for grants, preparing financial and statistical reports for grants, and reconciling general ledger accounts.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 2 years experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience preparing financial and/or auditor statements, schedules and reports.
- Experience interpreting, applying and explaining complex laws, codes, regulations or ordinances.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting practices and principles
- Attention to detail
- Experience in effective data presentation using Excel and/or other spreadsheet computer applications
- Demonstrated experience in financial analysis and budget managementAttention to detail with ability to multitask
- Ability to effectively plan and organize day to day operations
- Strong verbal and communication skills
60% of Time the Accountant, Grants must:
- Responsible for all functions of grant management for externally funded sponsored programs
- Provide information to University managers and staff regarding policies for financial expenditures and other transactions per grant regulations
- Prepare, analyze, and/or audit financial records and documents
- Monitor grant revenues and expenditures, ensuring departmental data is recorded in the University’s financial accounting system
- Research and analyze data for accuracy, trends, and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures have been followed and for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations
- Prepare and file annual financial statements for the Department and department programs
- Advise financial support staff on proper coding of expenditures, processing of accounting documents, and other accounting related activities
35% of Time the Accountant, Grants
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Accountant, Grants
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Accountant, Grants
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.