Job Standard for Accountant, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Accountant, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75200
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
Analyzes complex financial reports and records and makes recommendations based on analysis and status of reserves, assets and expenditures. Responsible to oversee and manage the contract management system. Facilitates compliance with state and federal regulations and policies.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business or related field plus 5 years minimum experience in similar type of work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state tax regulations
- Relational database experience
- Experience in applying and writing policies and procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires strong computer skills with an emphasis on Excel
- Must have the ability to problem solve and the ability to anticipate and provide solutions that result in gained efficiencies, improved customer service, enhance compliance, etc.
- Working knowledge in financial analysis and budget management
60% of Time the Accountant, Sr. must:
- Combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. Experience collaborating and/or managing a team of accountants and junior accountants.
- Look for trends and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures have been followed for compliance with Federal and State laws. With the results of the research/analysis, conclusions must be drawn and communicated to the appropriate person/department. This can result in changes to a process or system for compliance reasons.
- May prepare and submit federal and state biweekly, monthly, quarterly and year end tax reports. Make tax deposits weekly, monthly and quarterly for the federal and state taxes.
- Responsible for auditing finance records.
- May supervise or lead. Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures for internal controls and business affairs to achieve the overall goals of the department.
35% of Time the Accountant, Sr.
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Accountant, Sr.
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Accountant, Senior
Financial Specialist, Sr., Finance Manager.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.