Job Standard for Accounts Payable, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Accounts Payable, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75492
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Financial Services
This position has the responsibility and oversight of the university’s payable operations and will oversee and direct all accounts payable processing and procedures. Supervises and coaches staff.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of processing financial transactions in a complex, high volume environment.
- Ability to understand complex scenarios and dissect the components in order to identify changes required and the impact of those changes
- Familiar with Internal Revenue Service regulations.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Knowledge of documenting and improving processes and procedures
60% of Time the Accounts Payable, Manager must:
- Manage the university’s accounts payable units to ensure that requests are accurately processed and approved in compliance to policy and procedure
- Oversee audits and review all transactions including verification of dollar amounts for accuracy, completeness and conformance.
- Analyze, resolve and answer complex or difficult problems presented by staff, students, faculty or vendors.
- Assess and coordinate training classes in area of expertise; evaluate course effectiveness; create, publish and disseminate training materials
- Exercise a great deal of judgment and control in determining creation and exceptions of policy and processes
- Manage accounts payable staff including hiring, training, assigning, and directing work-flow of staff.
35% of Time the Accounts Payable, Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Accounts Payable, Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Accounts Payable, Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.