Job Standard for Administrative Assistant 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and cannot be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Administrative Assistant 1 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01235
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
To perform a wide variety of clerical support functions; apply detailed program knowledge in developing and/or maintaining program records systems and/or in collecting information, preparing reports and providing liaison between management, other organizational units, and external customers; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally, works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Good knowledge of: office support functions including word processing, filing, composing a variety of business documents, reception, gathering and compiling data, and balancing and coordinating a workload for multiple projects. Score within the top 25 on exam.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to make decisions for routine administrative and clerical activities
- Some knowledge of supervisory practices; bookkeeping; financial software; state and local government organization structure, functions, and decision-making processes.
60% of Time the Administrative Assistant 1 must:
- Compose letters, correspondence, and memos requiring independent judgment as to content; compile and analyze information from a variety of sources to prepare reports.
- Utilize word processing equipment and/or computers to create, process, and maintain a variety of documents and administrative records containing technical information and difficult formats.
- Act as a liaison between their organizational unit and external customers.
- Schedule and coordinate arrangements for meetings and conferences.
- Responsibility for financial record keeping including monitoring budgets, preparing financial transactions
- Supervise student support staff or have leadwork responsibilities.
35% of Time the Administrative Assistant 1
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Administrative Assistant 1
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Campus and various external sites, inside, office
Not applicable for Administrative Assistant 1
Administrative Assistant 2, Office Services Supervisor 1
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.