Job Standard for Administrative Assistant 2
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Administrative Assistant 2 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01231
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
To perform complex clerical, office administration, and public relations assignments; perform related work
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Good knowledge of: office support functions including word processing; filing; composing a variety of business documents; reception; and researching, compiling, and summarizing data for reports.
Experience: in interpreting, applying and explaining complex information such as regulations, policies or services; independently solving problems/performing liaison activities in a work setting; coordinating activities requiring complex arrangements. Score within the top 25 on exam.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to compose official correspondence, reports, research papers and other complex documents; providing administrative support to an administrator, director or senior staff member; designing manual and automated record management systems.
- Some knowledge of supervisory practices; bookkeeping; financial software; state and local government organization structure, functions, and decision-making processes.
60% of Time the Administrative Assistant 2 must:
- Coordinate administrative activities which require frequent contact with executives, the public, other agencies and campus officials. May attend meetings to relay and collect information
- Independently research, analyze, and compile information to prepare reports, handle complaints, or resolve problems; compose correspondence for supervisor on own initiative or from general instructions; format/type a variety of executive, sensitive, confidential, official and/or legal letters and documents.
- Exercise discretion and independence in applying policies and procedures
- Responsible for the research, compilation, and organization of materials for administrators’ use in problem resolution.
- Responsibility for financial record keeping including monitoring budgets, preparing financial transactions
- Supervise student support staff or have leadwork responsibilities.
- May be responsible for insuring that assignments given to other staff are completed and timelines are met. May supervisor students and staff.
35% of Time the Administrative Assistant 2
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Administrative Assistant 2
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Campus and various external sites, inside, office
Not applicable for Administrative Assistant 2
Management Assistant, Office Services Supervisor 2
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.