Job Standard for A&E Services Projects, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
A&E Services Projects, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75123
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Engineering & Architecture
Under the general direction of the Associate/Deputy Director and working closely with the University Architect to lead and manage all campus design direction, setting the overall design vision for campus, with the student in mind.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years relevant experience including 1 year managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in architectural/engineering design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of building codes, land use and zoning laws.
- Experience in building construction inspection and construction cost estimating.
- Skills in the preparation of construction documents using the version of AutoCAD utilized by Architectural & Engineering Services.
- Knowledge of construction contracts and contract law.
- Knowledge of architectural professional practice procedures.
- Skills in appropriate human relations with expertise in communication; excellent customer service/team player.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Knowledge and experience in DPW regulations and procedures.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to other duties as assigned.
60% of Time the A&E Services Projects, Senior Manager must:
- Organize and deliver complete project design concepts with the project tam or public forum under the supervision of the University Architect
- Coordinate project design with team members and consultants for conflicts and discrepancies
- Display willingness to make decisions by exhibiting sound and accurate judgment, supporting and explaining reasons for decisions, including appropriate people in decision-making process and making timely decisions
- Delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful
- Supervise and manage direct reports
- Understand, follow and develop University policies and procedures as related to capital improvements
- Set goals, prioritize and plan work activities for self-management and direct reports, using time efficiently
- Serve as the campus’s subject matter expert for industry changes, evolutions and best design practices, technologies, materials and products
- Lead and/or effectively participate in design charrettes, team design critiques and pin-ups
- Supervise work in progress ensuring high quality, on time and within budget
35% of Time the A&E Services Projects, Senior Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the A&E Services Projects, Senior Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.