Job Standard for Assistant Controller Operations
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Assistant Controller Operations Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75493
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
This position establishes and implements accounting procedures, coordinates financial policies, and is responsible for the direction of Administrative Accounting and for managing the preparation and submission of state, federal and out-of-state tax returns, along with developing and implementing procedures to ensure compliance with tax regulations. The position works with all departments on campus to coordinate data collection and provide education on tax matters.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to midterm focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience in the same type of work or equivalent, including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to problem solve and diffuse tense or sensitive situations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting, tax and management best practices.
- Strong independent decision-making ability, analytical and problem-solving skills and excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong automation skills, the understanding of how automation can improve efficiency and ability to oversee implementation of automated solutions.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Strong knowledge of customer service principles
- Demonstrate good judgment when making decisions
60% of Time the Assistant Controller Operations must:
- Responsible for providing direction and vision, and maintaining controls to assure continuous compliance with Federal, State, International tax treaties and other tax regulations.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and development of staff
- Develop and cultivate positive and customer-oriented employees and a customer/employee friendly environment
- Manages the preparation and submission of state and federal UBIT (unrelated business income tax) returns.
- The position is heavily involved in the quarterly reporting, analysis and year-end audit.
- Responsible for the management of an operation that includes 2 departments (Administrative Accounting, including Accounts Receivable and Tax)
- Investigates and educates the campus on best practices for appropriately classifying business operations as related or unrelated.
- Manages nonresident alien tax reporting for students, foreign vendors and employees
- Oversee, research and report on other tax returns as required
- Work with University Compliance, Controller’s Office, Auxiliaries, Colleges, and other departments within University Financial Services to implement processes and controls to ensure compliance with Federal, State and other tax regulations.
35% of Time the Assistant Controller Operations
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Assistant Controller Operations
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Assistant Controller Operations
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.