Job Standard for Assistant Controller Treasury
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Assistant Controller Treasury Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75216
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
Responsible for reviewing and approving bond related payments, reconciliations, journal entries, analysis, year-end work papers and bond compliance. This position oversees cash, debt and investment accounting staff and is responsible for monthly, quarterly, annual accounting activities and financial reporting (internal and external). This requires implementing and understanding GASB accounting standards. The position is also responsible for maintaining business relationships with banks, investment advisors, and bond compliance agencies.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to midterm focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree plus 7 years’ experience or other relevant professional experience, including 3 years managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working with external auditors
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting, tax exempt debt and management best practices.
- Strong independent decision-making ability, analytical and problem-solving skills and excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong automation skills, the understanding of how automation can improve efficiency and ability to oversee implementation of automated solutions.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Strong knowledge of customer service principles
- Presentation skills to external vendors (auditors and rating agencies) as well as internal executives (Treasury Advisory Committee)
- Demonstrated knowledge of supervisory practice
60% of Time the Assistant Controller Treasury must:
- Prepare, analyze, and/or audit financial records and documents
- Research and correct reconciling items in an accurate and timely manner
- Subject matter expert on assigned auxiliaries and provide detailed schedules for quarterly reporting
- Prepare complex reports schedules and special studies requiring a broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures for both internal and external financial reporting and year-end audit.
- Research and analyze data for accuracy, trends and variances to ensure appropriate accounting procedures have been followed for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and university policy.
- All bond compliance matters, and other duties as assigned
35% of Time the Assistant Controller Treasury
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Assistant Controller Treasury
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Assistant Controller Treasury
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.