Job Standard for Assistant Dean of Operations
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Assistant Dean of Operations Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75917
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Operations
The Assistant Dean of Operations is responsible for oversight of faculty, students, and academic programming. The Assistant Dean of Operations and Strategic Initiatives reports to the Dean and works with the executive team and college departments to coordinate and execute on the operational and strategic goals of the college.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid-term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one department/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 7 years’ experience with 3 years’ managerial
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Collaborates with the Faculty, Academic Program Directors, Administration and the Dean to establish and implement the strategic plan, mission, goals and expected outcomes of the programs.
- Accountable for policy development, revision, administration, and compliance as it relates to the profession and academic programs.
- Secures and maintains appropriate accreditation, compliance, and recognition of the programs.
- Provides leadership and administration of academic programs and implementation of new academic programs.
60% of Time the Assistant Dean of Operations must:
- Participates with the leadership team with the recruitment, appointment, orientation, promotion, and dismissal of faculty for the college.
- Shares the evaluation of all faculty with the leadership team.
- Promotes research strategies and implementation plans, ensuring alignment to program outcomes and strategy.
- Participates in the preparation, administration, and monitoring of the program budget.
- Maintains and builds relationships with the University Alumni Association.
- Engages and builds relationships with Donors when requested.
- Collaborate closely with a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, on all aspects of projects, including planning, content, layout and publication of marketing materials, turnaround time, etc.
35% of Time the Assistant Dean of Operations
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Assistant Dean of Operations
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds.
Not applicable for Assistant Dean of Operations
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.