Job Standard for Assistant Dean of Students
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Assistant Dean of Students Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75660
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Affairs Administration
The Assistant Dean of Students provides leadership, strategic and fiscal management, and effective decision making for the Student Rights and Responsibilities division within the Office of the Dean of Students. This position oversees the management of student conduct in classrooms, residence halls and off campus and provides education for students, staff and faculty in order to prevent misconduct. The Assistant Dean of Students will be responsible for the continuous review and facilitation of student conduct code updates and revisions and ensure that the student conduct code is in alignment with University policies and processes, as well as state and federal laws.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 – 4 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work and collaborate successfully with persons, programs, organizations and agencies with distinctly varied missions, goals and objectives. Demonstrated success in educational program design and implementation.
- A record of personal and professional initiative, flexibility and strong communication skills, including public speaking and writing, grant writing preferred.
- Training in and knowledge of college student development and higher education administration.
- Knowledge of appropriate state and federal laws governing student records and privacy.
- Knowledge of various legal and court decisions/outcomes as they pertain to student conduct.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Counseling and conflict resolution skills.
- Title IX knowledge and understanding.
- Knowledge of best practice as it pertains to student crisis response.
- Laws and regulations pertaining to student discipline.
- Knowledge and ability in program development and implementation.
- Ability to navigate and manage complex situations which affect students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to manage and maintain appropriate budgetary responsibilities
60 % of Assistant Dean of Students will:
- Supervise staff in the Office of the Dean of Students and Housing/Residence Life in relation to their roles and responsibilities in upholding the mission of the Dean of Students office and student conduct.
- Coordinate student conduct response, hearings and trainings; including training hearing board members.
- Manage the Title IX hearing process, including coordination and facilitation of hearings and recruitment and training hearing board members.
- Develop and maintain a Respondent Advisor program including the recruitment, training and oversight of persons serving as advisors.
- Create and facilitate training and education for the campus community regarding classroom management and student conduct.
- Creates university-wide educational publications (print and web) and educational marketing campaigns, and as well maintains and updates written protocols and procedures.
- Supports students and student organization activities to promote speech activities and educational efforts intended to enhance dialogue.
35% of Time Assistant Dean of Students
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Assistant Dean of Students:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Assistant Dean of Students
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.