Job Standard for Associate Dean of Students
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Associate Dean of Students Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75916
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Affairs Administration
The Associate Dean of Students oversees the systems and operations of case management service through delivery to students experiencing barriers and/or disruptions to their academic success, including managing referrals and consultations and supervising staff members providing outreach and intervention to students. This also includes maintaining academic partnerships and collaboration with campus partners to further enhance intervention efforts and retention initiatives.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 8 years experience including 5 managerial
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Successful experience in case management, including as a social worker, case manager or a related job, including working with individuals and groups with a wide array of identities and life experiences, including gender, disability, class, race/ethnicity, sexuality, culture, and religion.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing campus support services. This includes coordinating support services for academic, physical and mental health, and other basic needs.
- Strong communication ability in interpersonal relationships including clear verbal and written communication, planning, organization and the ability to establish priorities among job responsibilities.
- Demonstrate skills with a high degree of personal/professional integrity, respect for privacy and confidentiality, and a strong sense of ethics.
- Expertise in collaborating with persons, programs, organizations and agencies with distinctly varied missions, goals and objectives.
- Advanced ability to navigate and manage complex situations which affect students, faculty and staff.
- Successful experience supervising others and leading multidisciplinary teams.
60% of Time the Associate Dean of Students must:
- Review CARE and Student Outreach referrals, analyze and prioritize response needs for each report and offer regular consultation for intervention efforts.
- Chair Boise State’s Student Intervention Team. Coordinate resolution outcomes for students demonstrating ongoing distressing behavior by implementing plans that address student behavior.
- Maintain case management standard operating procedures and regular training for student outreach case managers.
- Conduct regular assessment of program outcomes and service delivery to increase organizational effectiveness
- Support budget management and program fund reconciliation.
- Oversee the administrative and operational duties for the Impact Scholars Program, providing regular in-person support, resource navigation and promoting student engagement. Manage the Impact Scholars scholarship fund and program fund.
- Provide leadership by maintaining academic partnerships and ongoing collaboration with academic colleges for coordination of student support, intervention strategies, and student retention initiatives to address barriers to success
35% of Time the Associate Dean of Students
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Associate Dean of Students
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Associate Dean of Students
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.