Job Standard for Athletic Certification Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletic Certification Specialist Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75580
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Registrar & Records
The primary purpose of this job is to establish and maintain student athlete records, monitoring their academic progress and eligibility in compliance with the rules and regulations set forth by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the Mountain West Conference (MWC), and Boise State University. This position will serve in a lead role.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees..
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience researching, interpreting and applying university policies and procedures a considerable knowledge of transfer credit issues or graduation requirements
- Experience interpreting, applying and explaining university academic and vocational program requirements
- Ability to train and monitor work loads
- Experience compiling data and preparing reports
- Communication and presentation skills
60% of Time the Athletic Certification Specialist must:
- Determine eligibility of recruits. Reviews current credits to ensure enrollment in academic courses are applicable to declared baccalaureate degree programs.
- Maintain familiarity with major requirements, curriculum changes and courses acceptable for degree progress.
- Determine potential deficiencies in both NCAA percentage and degree progress rules
- Review and update active student athlete records for continuing eligibility. This includes interpreting and applying all necessary NCAA rules and regulations.
- Review degree progress requirements and academic standing data to determine academic eligibility
- Investigate ways to improve and simplify processes
- Create eligibility memos for each team to certify each athlete as eligible for practice and competition.
- Act as lead, coordinate office training
35% of Time the Athletic Certification Specialist
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletic Certification Specialist
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.