Job Standard for Athletic Equipment Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletic Equipment Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 02654
- Pay Grade: E
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
To issue, retrieve, and inventory athletic clothing and equipment; maintain and adjust athletic equipment; alter and mend athletic clothing; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Good knowledge of: sports equipment and clothing used in at least two major sports such as: basketball, volleyball, tennis, gymnastics, track and field.
Experience: maintaining inventory records and applying inventory control procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand
60% of Time the Athletic Equipment Assistant must:
- Issues to and insures retrieval of athletic equipment and clothing from individuals, teams, and faculty for various sports; stores athletic equipment for daily and seasonal use; follows up on equipment and clothing not returned or lost; orders and maintains inventories and records of athletic equipment and clothing; issues and collects locks; recommends equipment-room policies and procedures and ensures compliance; prepares team equipment and clothes for travel and home games; coordinates and monitors locker room use; sets up shot clock; secures storeroom; may oversee inventory and records for souvenir sales; may supervise gate ticket sales for athletic events.
- Launders athletic clothing according to fabric and care requirements; operates and cleans clothes washers and dryers; may alter and mend athletic clothing; makes minor repairs on athletic equipment; may estimate material and sewing supplies necessary for repair; may operate and clean electric sewing machines; may train students in laundering and issuance of equipment.
35% of Time the Athletic Equipment Assistant
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletic Equipment Assistant
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents in this classification will be required to work irregular shifts depending on the season and scheduling of various athletic events. Some positions require physical ability to lift athletic equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
Not applicable for Athletic Equipment Assistant
Athletic Equipment Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.