Job Standard for Athletic Trainer
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletic Trainer Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75101
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
To assist the Boise State Sports Medicine Staff in providing Sports Medicine/Athletic Training Services to the Boise State University Intercollegiate Athletic Program.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years relevant professional experience.
- Certification by the NATABOC & must meet standards for State of Idaho Licensure
- CPR and First Aid certifications (must be completed within one month of hire).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues
- High level of communication skills and ability to work well with staff, student-athletes, physicians and parents
- Ability to perform adequate and competent evaluations in regard to health status of student-athletes
60% of Time the Athletic Trainer must:
- Provide emergency medical coverage and athletic training services including injury prevention, management, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation strategies for assigned athletic teams for all home and away competitions and practices for designated teams.
- Maintain adequate records concerning athletic injuries, their etiology, treatment, and follow up treatment along with outside referrals as necessary.
- Coordinate claims, payments and coverage of insurance benefits for athletes who have received medical care outside of the university setting medical facilities by working directly with the Athletic Student Insurance Coordinator on all insurance paperwork necessary for athletic injuries.
- Coordinate and participate in pre-participation physical exams for athletic teams, arranging for physicians, location set-up and appropriate paperwork.
- Assist in the selection and supervision of Graduate Assistants and Student Athletic Trainers in providing athletic training services and maintaining current certification and licensure as required for all staff.
- Coordinate physician and medical staff referrals for injured athletes.
35% of Time the Athletic Trainer
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletic Trainer
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Athletic Trainer, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.