Job Standard for Athletic Training, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletic Training Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75459
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
This position is part of the Sports Performance, Health and Wellness department and is responsible for overseeing all health care needs of student-athletes.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of relevant professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic working knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
- Must be a licensed Certified Athletic Trainer.
- A high level of communication skills and the ability to work well with staff, student-athletes, physicians and parents.
- Ability to assist in medical record development and maintenance, following HIPPA policies and regulations.
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices.
60% of Time the Athletic Training, Manager must:
- Administer daily coaches meeting injury updates. Supply the coaching staff with an overview of the student-athlete’s injuries, injury restrictions and practice schedules.
- Reviews the Blood Borne Pathogen, CPR, First Aid and emergency action plans and protocols for the Athletic Department, trains the athletic training staff and students and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Determines sport assignments and event coverage for team physicians, staff and student athletic trainers.
- Provide emergency medical coverage and athletic training services including injury prevention, management, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation strategies for all home and away competitions and practices.
- Serve as the primary person responsible for concussion policy development, education and management for the department.
- Collaborate with the sports performance staff to coordinate safe and effective off-season conditioning programs with appropriate medical coverage.
- Responsible for hiring, motivating and developing staff.
35% of Time the Athletic Training, Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletic Training, Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.