Job Standard for Athletics Assistant Coach
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletics Assistant Coach Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75185
- Pay Grade: EX
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Coaches
This position is to recruit and train Division I student-athletes to compete at the highest level possible. This position must also be able to run and maintain a Division I program through recruiting, student-athlete instruction including on-court teaching techniques, scheduling, monitoring academic progress, budget management, fundraising, as well as promoting the sport throughout the University and local community. This position shall have a strong working knowledge and understanding of all NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
This Assistant Coach position independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained with experience. Uses the coach’s background and experience to decide instruction which is most beneficial to the student-athlete and team. Evaluates student-athlete’s talents, abilities, academic potential and scholarship recommendations. The head coach relies upon this position’s recommendation in determining which student-athletes to consider for their program and which student-athletes to consider for scholarships. Functions with a high degree of autonomy.
Bachelor’s Degree and a sports background and experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of NCAA Rules – This position shall have a strong working knowledge and understanding of all NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
- Sport Experience – Extensive knowledge of individual and team skills with the ability to teach these skills.
- Recruiting – The ability to evaluate and compare athletic talent for potential growth and development of student-athletes. Maintain correspondence with a large number of prospects: e-mail, letters, and phone.
- Academic Monitoring – The ability to establish and monitor an academic system that ensures academic success for the student-athlete.
- Travel – The ability to plan, organize and execute travel arrangements.
- Computer Skills – This position is expected to have computer literacy.
- Communication Skills – This position is expected to have a high level of communication skills with student-athletes, prospective student-athletes, their coaches, counselors, parents and boosters in the community.
- Fundraising – The ability to develop the sports community in the areas of support and fundraising.
- Upon hire a NCAA Coaches Certification and 15 passenger van driving certification is required
60% of Time the Athletics Assistant Coach must:
- Ensure the effective teaching and instruction of all specific technical skill areas to student-athletes.
- This position teaches and instructs student-athletes in the sport and uses the coach’s background and experience to decide instruction which is most beneficial to the student-athlete and team.
- Develop team and individual strategies to have the greatest chance of winning within the sport, through on-court/field teaching and video instruction.
- Design instructional programs for the team and individual student athletes and instruct student-athletes on how to implement a game plan as determined for each competition.
- Travel to events and evaluate potential student-athlete talent, correspond with all prospects via email, phone, face to face conversations, etc.
- Complete all necessary Compliance and Institutional documentation as required.
- Recruit student-athletes who meet University academic and athletic standards.
- Responsible for direct supervision of assistant coaches, all staff disciplinary actions, and any other personnel management duties as required to maintain a successful staff.
- Responsible for overall performance of athletes’ academic progress by working closely with the academic support staff.
- Work with the NCAA Compliance Office to make sure programs and student-athletes are complying with all rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
- Responsible for successfully managing an annual budget including all necessary fiscal planning.
- Promote the program to the public including, media, donors, the University community and the general public to increase visibility and revenues for the program.
35% of Time the Athletics Assistant Coach
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletics Assistant Coach
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position will be required to work nights, weekends. Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection. Physical demands include, but not limited to, standing throughout the day, using a loud voice at practices and events, physical involvement in all practices and workouts with players
Travel when necessary
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.