Job Standard for Athletics Operations, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletics Operations, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75099
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
This position oversees operational areas of the Athletic Department, which entails supervision of the athletic facilities, project development, game management for all sports with direct responsibility for football and men’s basketball, directs all championships, schedules and manages all special events including oversight of rental operations for all athletic facilities.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience plus 7 years professional experience including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and compliance with NCAA, conference and university rules and regulations.
- Experience with oversight and management of personnel
- Knowledge of Risk Management policies and procedure and principles and the ability to identify and resolve unsafe conditions.
- Excellent communication skills to work as a high level customer service representative for event patrons.
60% of Time the Athletics Operations, Assistant Director must:
- Oversee the athletic business office and business affairs functions that process and maintain all internal business processes for the department.
- Oversee the budgeting process for the department.
- Assist with fundraising for capital projects.
- Oversee new construction and remodel projects from conception to completion for all athletic department facilities.
- Work directly with the Athletic Director to be the main point of contact for projects regarding implementation of the strategic plan to meet Title IX requirements.
- Identifies, analyzes, and monitors issues that affect profitability, growth, and productivity.
- Oversee game operations and management staff for all aspects of Intercollegiate Sports and special events, with direct responsibility for football.
- Oversees the management and production of conference championships
- Prepares bids and directs NCAA Championships
35% of Time the Athletics Operations, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletics Operations, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.