Job Standard for Athletics Operations, Senior Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletics Operations, Senior Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75109
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
The primary purpose of this position is to assist in overseeing the various sport programs support staff, provide external support for fundraising and community outreach, football travel, assist with the direction and growth of the programs, and to work on sport management and department wide initiatives within the athletic department.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree plus 8 years professional experience including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong experience and knowledge of all NCAA and conference rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
- Must have coaching experience and/or playing experience and/or administrative experience.
- Supervision skills with the ability to administer and motivate a staff.
- Experience with solicitation and acquisition of membership sales and the ability to complete these tasks.
60% of Time the Athletics Operations, Senior Director must:
- May serve as a chief of staff for Boise State Football for the head football coach, overseeing operations and weight room personnel and staff
- Apply policies of the NCAA, SBOE and Boise State University Athletics.
- Manage department and enhancement budgets.
- Communication coordinator with athletic department staff and campus leadership
- Regular update and interaction with Director of Athletics relating to sports program and head coach needs
- Member of Athletic Department Senior Staff for meetings and planning for department wide initiatives, projects and vision.
- Work directly with the Director of Athletics and Associate AD/Development on fundraising ideas for entire athletic department, including the football program.
- Foster and build relationships with outside donors and coaches club members to help promote the department and university.
35% of Time the Athletics Operations, Senior Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletics Operations, Senior Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.