Job Standard for Bookstore Operator
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Bookstore Operator Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 04658
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Bookstore/Retail
To procure, receive, stock, and sell merchandise in a small bookstore; maintain bookstore inventory and related records; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet the needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Good knowledge of: merchandise ordering and receiving practices to include determining best sources and quantity.
Physical Ability: stand, bend, and stoop for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
60% of Time the Bookstore Operator must:
- Orders bookstore merchandise to satisfy customer demands, maintain inventory levels, and provide students with required course material; consults with course instructors to verify quantity and types of materials needed; recommends bookstore policies; evaluates available merchandise to ensure purchases are made at the best possible price; maintains order records; confers with vendors on orders; receives freight, inspects merchandise, and verifies charges; resolves problems with vendors regarding incorrect invoices or damaged merchandise; prepares merchandise payment vouchers; fills department merchandise orders; stocks shelves and arranges displays; determines merchandise prices; assists customers in locating merchandise; responds to inquiries regarding prices and availability of merchandise; receives payments for purchases and operates cash register; balances cash register receipts and completes daily cash sale reports; deposits cash and checks; records daily transactions in general ledger; maintains automated inventory system; conducts physical inventory; develops periodic stock inventory reports; types merchandise and pricing lists; prepares profit and loss statements.
35% of Time the Bookstore Operator
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Bookstore Operator
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Physical ability to: stand, bend, and stoop for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Not applicable for Bookstore Operator
Retail Assistant Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.