Job Standard for Box Office Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Box Office Manager Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 05282
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Performing Arts
- Function: Venue Services
Supervise box office operations; plan, order, distribute and account for all ticket sales; establish and maintain seating plans and ticket inventory; develop event marketing methods; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Experience: using a reserved seat ticketing system; implementing and monitoring sales and promotions; cash handling procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service and selling methods
- Experience using a computerized ticketing software
- Tracking ticket inventory levels
- Ability to manipulate database software to store, retrieve and compile information into report format.
60% of Time the Box Office Manager must:
- Supervises, trains and directs box office staff and monitors policies and procedures. Maintains ticket inventory, resolves customer complaints and problems. Ensures compliance and cash handling procedures.
- Designs tickets for events; communicates with promoters; prepares and approves ticket printing orders; reconciles sales to ensure proper accounting of money and tickets.
- Maintains cash levels for tills; issues tickets to cashiers; ensures security of box office, money, tickets and staff; responds to written and verbal inquiries from customers, promoters and outlet representatives.
- Develops methods for marketing events; implements and evaluates marketing efforts.
- 35% of Time the Box Office Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Box Office Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; exposure to high noise levels.
Not applicable for Box Office Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.