Job Standard for Budget Analyst, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Budget Analyst, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75203
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Budget
Responsible for processing position requests, processing payroll-correcting entries, performing a large portion of the HR and Budget systems compare, and assisting with the Appropriated Budget Book production. In addition, assisting the Director and Associate Director with a variety of budget projects.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Intermediate knowledge of Accounting practices, computer literacy – especially Excel
- Excellent customer service skills, and excellent communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills
60% of Time the Budget Analyst, Senior must:
- Understand internal policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, as well as State Board of Education policies
- Work as a liaison between the Budget Office and other campus departments
- Process position budget requests, budgetary analysis and reporting, as well as special projects as assigned by the Assistant Director
- Knowledge of university budgets, process flows, HR systems and position budgeting experience
- Work with other departments as a ‘consultant’ to assist in improving their budgeting processes.
- Work with various departments to analyze their activity and propose methods to improve their forecasting and processes
- Coordination with office staff to assist in various tasks. This includes upgrade testing of the Financial System – Budget Books (Appropriated and Local) production – position tracking – contract printing – and various tasks as assigned
35% of Time the Budget Analyst, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Budget Analyst, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Budget Analyst, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.