Job Standard for Budget Operations, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Budget Operations, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75207
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Budget
Responsible for assisting in the development, execution, and evaluation of the university’s operating budget; managing budget analysts in the office; recommending approval/disapproval to requests for exceptions to budget policy; and providing guidance to budget leaders in academic and administration units across campus on budget planning and implementation.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent time management and ability to multitask
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Experience working with university incentive-based budgets
- Demonstrative knowledge with fund accounting, with the State of Idaho and Idaho State Board of Education budget policies and systems, and extensive experience working in a central university budget office including experience in budget operations
- Ability to work independently and in a group
60% of Time the Budget Operations, Assistant Director must:
- Manage the internal work required of the Office of Budget and Planning to execute the annual budget development process and ensures deadlines are met and information is available as needed.
- Manage a team of budget analysts and oversee their work. Serve as the Office of Budget and Planning representative in various meetings, committees, and workgroups
- Ensure accurate budgets are developed that comply with State and University policy
- Work closely with campus departments to ensure proper budget processes, procedures, and policies are followed throughout the year.
- Provide oversight for budget transfers and make recommendations for exceptions to budget policies and practices
- Research complex budget issues as assigned
- Oversee Boise State’s use of the State of Idaho STARS budget system for submitting annual state budget requests and managing budget transactions throughout the year
- Ensure required reports are submitted to the State Board of Education in a timely manner and State policies and practices are followed.
35% of Time the Budget Operations, Assistant Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Budget Operations, Assistant Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Budget Operations, Assistant Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.