Job Standard for Building Superintendent
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Building Superintendent Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06648
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operations Services
To plan, direct, and perform repair and maintenance of a large building or a complex of smaller buildings; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Good knowledge of: building and life safety codes; the methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Experience: performing commercial building facility maintenance; performing skilled repair and maintenance in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, building maintenance, and grounds related work; using the tools and equipment associated with the trades indicated; reading blueprints and specifications; estimating material needs and costs for jobs; maintaining records and writing reports; performing maintenance on heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate and coordinate maintenance and service work to staff, and contractor personnel
- Supervisory experience
60% of Time the Building Superintendent must:
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and training staff in the operation and maintenance of tools, equipment and related devices. Assigns work, evaluates performance and determines needs. Inspects work for compliance with contracts; estimates budget and cost; evaluates equipment life and replaces as appropriate. Writes maintenance and administrative reports
- Examines interior and exterior of buildings, inspects fire extinguishers, maintains plumbing and related systems and initiates necessary repair. Builds and repairs wooden structures; inspects boilers, chillers, lubricate fans, filters for efficient operation. Performs routine maintenance of vehicles; repairs roofs; ensures grounds surrounding facility are care for properly and maintained; oversees painting, remodeling and building repairs. May oversee custodial services.
35% of Time the Building Superintendent
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Building Superintendent
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Position involves lifting and carrying items weighing up to approximately 90 pounds as well as bending, stooping, climbing ladders, and moving in and around confined spaces.
Not applicable for Building Superintendent
Building Operations Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.