Job Standard for Business Analyst
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Business Analyst Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75779
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Operations
Works with academic and administrative units to input and transfer data into the system and develop reports and workflows. Responsible for promoting full use of system features to improve data and reporting quality.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in training others
- Advanced computer skills
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students.
60% of Time the Business Analyst must:
- Create queries to gather, clean, validate, merge and maintain data sets from multiple sources, ensuring the data is secure and appropriate precautions are taken to maintain privacy. Develop technical solutions to business problems and contribute to and support the development of a data-driven decision making culture.
- Develop and maintain positive, collaborative, respect-based relationships with co-workers, clients, and stakeholders both internal and external.
- Flexibility in adapting to a fast-changing environment to meet the needs of the department and priorities of the university. Work with supervisor to develop a professional development plan with annual goals to accomplish the plan. Actively pursue excellence, effectiveness, and efficiency.
35% of Time the Business Analyst
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Analyst
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Business Analyst
Business Analyst, Senior, Institutional Research Analyst, Data Analyst
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.