Job Standard for Business Consultant, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Business Consultant, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75190
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Management Consulting
Understand and lead the department within a wide range of business factors and operations, including data analysis and developing, implementing, analyzing, managing, and tracking projects and initiatives.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills to help clients solve problems
- Knowledge of business management, accounting, marketing, strategic planning and all other business operations
- Effective planning and organization skills
- Ability to lead a team
60% of Time the Business Consultant, Senior must:
- Meet with small business owners to: determine their needs, develop action plans, and to refer clients to the appropriate resources.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all client information
- Work with faculty to incorporate client issues in class projects
- Analyze business needs in the service area and develop training topics to meet these needs
- Contributes to the implementation of the Idaho SBDC Strategic Plan in the counties of Idaho.
- Evaluate the success of consulting and training to determine client satisfaction and impact of consulting
- Engage economic development and business partners to leverage SBDC’s impact and to reduce duplicative programs
35% of Time the Business Consultant, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Consultant, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.